Sunday, April 7, 2013

A sandwich

The kids have really been great through our diet transformation.  We are talking through many of our choices but it is still hard for a 5 and 7 year old to make sense of it all.

Will was pretty bummed on Friday.  All he wanted was to be able to have an ordinary PB&J sandwich for lunch or maybe even a turkey sandwich.  Well, that is pretty much impossible to do as we are gluten free, nut free, poultry free, and the list goes on...  We don't make a big deal if the kids are at a friend's house or if they are out somewhere it is difficult to find good choices.  They are catching on though.  Liz (5) is starting to ask which foods are gluten free and ask first before eating something.  It is hard enough as an adult to sift through it all.  

Back to the sandwich challenge...  

I've seen where people have used cream cheese on waffles in children's lunches so I thought we could see if that would solve Will's sandwich dilemma.  Cream cheese and a waffle was a no go but jam was a hit.  His ultimate favorite waffle sandwich is cream cheese and pepperoni.  He claims it tastes like a pizza.  

I used King Arthur Flour Gluten free pancake mix to make the waffles.  I decided to double the recipe as I always like to make as much as I can and freeze for easy morning meals.  I doubled the ingredients but forgot to open two boxes. Oops.  I just couldn't figure out why the mix was so runny.  Thank goodness I finally figured it out.  We also use this mix to make pancakes.  



This summer I stocked up on Lynd's Homemade Jams.  They are delicious! Excellent for a jelly waffle sandwich or a pancake topping.


No comments:

Post a Comment